The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

violin

I am learning the violin. Do your songs and etc come in that music? I am in only second year now and need a lot of help. Shuffle bowing inst would help me. Dee

Cancel

Not quite sure what you are asking, can you elaborate?

Cancel

Hi Deannia,

The Toneway material doesn't come with standard music notation (sheet music). It is learned by ear for every instrument (including fiddle/violin.)

The Toneway books do come with free downloadable mp3 tracks so you can listen to the songs. A great way to start on the Toneway method would be to go to one of the beginning workshops (they are often offered through Parks and Recreation). As a second-year violin student you are at a good level to start exploring the Toneway method, learning some new songs and learning how to play this kind of music with other people.

As a beginning fiddler myself (6 years now) I can attest that you may also benefit from some instrument-specific support (violin/fiddle is a challenging instrument!) There are a number of very good local fiddle teachers who can help you with some technique tips that are specific to fiddling, rather that playing violin. Luke Abbot and Annie Staninec are two very good teachers, and I also sometimes teach beginning adults.

Best wishes, Jessica

Cancel

Hi Deannia,
I just looked at your profile and saw that you are not local to Santa Cruz, CA where the Toneway method originates, so you won't be able to do the workshops. In that case, I encourage you to start with this free online lesson: http://toneway.com/learn
-Jessica

Cancel
to write a reply.